Jan Sundberg is a seasoned and innovative attorney with more than twenty years of experience in intellectual property and commercial and technology law, Internet, corporate and international law.
His areas of expertise, both domestic and international (E.U., West Africa, China, Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong and India), include technology and intellectual property development, manufacturing, collaboration agreements, mergers and acquisitions, financing, venture capital and private equity investments, licensing, acquisition and distribution agreements, joint venture and strategic partnerships, technology and know-how agreements, development of mobile platforms, Internet infrastructure, new media and multimedia license agreements, copyright, trade secret and trademark protection and counseling, advertising and content clearance, data rights and privacy protection, and intellectual property programs and strategies.
Client representation has ranged from entrepreneurs and early-stage companies to Fortune 500 and international companies
Participated in a broad range of engagements across diverse industries such as telecommunications, green energy, international distribution, software development (enterprise and mobile platforms), new media and content production, and Internet and wireless telecommunication infrastructure. Client representation has ranged from entrepreneurs and early-stage companies to Fortune 500 and international companies such as MCI WorldCom, Banco Agrícola S.A. (the largest bank in El Salvador and one of the largest banks in Central America), and London Clubs International plc and Aspinall’s Club, Limited (two London-based casinos with international operations.)
In addition to his legal expertise, Jan possesses a scientific background in mathematics, physics, chemistry and biology. Jan is a former adjunct professor at both La Sierra University and California State University Northridge
- University of Minnesota School of Law LL.M., 1991
- Scholarship from the Swedish Export Council
- University of Uppsala School of Law - Sweden Juris Kandidat (J.D.), 1990
- International Exchange Program
- Scholarship from University of Uppsala School of Law
- Student Teaching Program
- California; United States District Court, Central District of California.
- Internet Infrastructure Company - Structuring of funding and construction of international data center for among other streaming and cloud services and platforms. Continued representation for data and privacy policies and agreements, international and domestic joint ventures, OEM and White labeling and intellectual property counseling.
- County of San Bernardino – Structuring and implementation of new innovate private equity platform to increase local and regional fundraising and development of new innovative technology companies, including creating a “social network” for entrepreneurs, academia, government and investors.
- Social Media Company – Content and advertising clearance, mobile strategies, data and privacy policies and agreements, litigation management and counseling, international and domestic intellectual property counseling, including patents, copyrights and trademark strategies.
- Mobile Technology Company – Structuring of mobile software platform to create social network for advertising and reward and membership programs, licensing and user agreements for mobile content, intellectual property counseling, including the relationship with European subsidiary.
- Fortune 500 Company - Structured and implemented intellectual property acquisition and protection program, risk assessment and management.
- Banco Agrícola S.A. (Largest bank in El Salvador and one of the largest banks in Central America) - Counsel to the California Agencies in two public securitizations of diversified payment streams, including money transfer payments from the California agencies. The first securitization was underwritten by Barclays Capital and the second securitization was underwritten by Union Bank.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- MCI WorldCom - Represented MCI WorldCom to establish independent distributorship and reseller networks in West Africa, including drafting and implementing licensing and distributor agreements.
- Search123.com (Westlake Village-based “pay per click” search engine company) - Represented company in acquisition of Simpli.com from NetZero and acquisition of company by ValueClick, Inc.
- Wireless Research Company - Negotiated and drafted joint ventures with international companies in Singapore and India to implement new wireless technology for HD broadcasting, structured and implemented contracts and strategic relationships with major defense related companies.
- Life Sciences Company - Structured and implemented international corporate structure with European subsidiaries, including cross-border product development, intellectual property rights and employment agreements.
- Aspinall’s Club Ltd., et al v. Sukamoto Sia, et al., Los Angeles Superior Court, Case No. BC274214; In re: Sukamoto Sia fka Sukarman Sukamoto, Case No. 98-04912. Successfully brought an action in the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of Hawaii seeking to recover $7 million owed by the debtor, a banker and real estate developer. The representation included prosecuting fraud and conspiracy actions resulting in the entry of judgments against several parties for joint and several liability in excess of $8 million.
- Represented one of the leading behavioral targeting and web analytics solutions providers – Netratings, Inc. v. Sagemetrics Corporation, Case No. 05-cv-4507 JFW (CWx). Successfully defended claims of patent infringement by a global information and media company with leading market positions in marketing and consumer information, television and other media measurement, online intelligence, mobile measurement, trade shows and business publications.
- Represented a privately held life science company. Successfully negotiated a settlement against European patent counsel, who had, through various misrepresentations, illegally expropriated the client’s intellectual property. After extensive discovery in Germany, settlement resulted in the immediate surrender of the claims against the client’s intellectual property.
- Represented a privately held wireless research company. Successfully terminated an exclusive distributor and licensee of the client’s wireless products and technology and defended against a claim that the out-of-state distributor was entitled to a return of moneys advanced to the client, by filing a “pre-emptive” strike in California for declaratory relief.
- Represented a banking-software development company. Successfully defended allegations of misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and other claims, including plaintiff’s motion for a preliminary injunction.